The Montepinar Residence located in Murcia capital implants a new nutritional improvement program with the guarantee seal of Dr. Marta Garaulet
Nutritional improvement programme
In 2019 the residence started a nutritional improvement program aimed at improving and balancing all aspects related to the food of residents.
The program was carried out with the advice of Dr. Marta Garaulet, Director of Garaulet Nutrition Centers, Professor of Nutrition at the University of Murcia, and featured in the field of Nutrition at the international level.
A deep evaluation of the residency menus was carried out and new menus were designed from the previous ones, adjusting to make them healthier, balanced and based on the Mediterranean Diet, containing the energy, macronutrients and vitamins and minerals recommended for the type of population in the residence.
The following improvements were introduced in the menus:
• Improvement of the “Score of Mediterranean Diet”, increasing consumption of fish, fruit and vegetables.
• It was increased in the number of foods rich in vitamin D and folic acid (normally deficient vitamins in the larger population): whole milk, vegetables, legumes, fish, fresh fruits and nuts.
• The industrial pastry was completely eliminated in breakfasts and snacks and replaced by homemade cakes.
• Commercial juices were eliminated and replaced by freshly expressed natural juices. Fulares para bebés
• Mixed with other natural fruits or vegetables, or from yogurt mixed with natural fruit, smoothies (batidos) were added to the orange juice. The residents are given daily, in the middle of the morning the first, and in the middle of the afternoon the second.
• Intake of fats decreased at recommended levels (-50 g./day). Fried preparations were minimized by replacing them with healthier alternatives cooked in the oven or iron.
• It increased the energy at breakfasts and decreased at dinners.
• Liquid dispensers were put in the living rooms to increase the hydration of residents.
• Finally, nutritional assessment protocols of the resident and the screening of malnutrition were developed, implementing methods of assessment of malnutrition, identifying risk residents, developing nutritional screening tools and standardizing intervention plans and monitoring the evolution of residents with nutritional problems.
La Elderly residence Montepinar, belonging to the group of residences SUMAVIDA is a specialized center in caring for elders valid and assisted, built on an area of 12,000 m2, with more than 8,000 m2 of gardens and free spaces, located in an environment privileged by its landscape and very well connected with the center of Murcia. The residence has 131 beds, including 4 nurses, distributed between double and single rooms. They offer permanent and temporary stay services. They also have a day center.
The residence of Major Montepinar implants a new nutritional improvement program
The Montepinar Residence located in Murcia capital implants a new nutritional improvement program with the guarantee seal of Dr. Marta Garaulet /COMUNICAE/